The First Week (25 Jan 08)
The results are in for the first week. The GS used 19.17L to cover 328km. By my calculations that is 5.85L/100km, which is right in the middle of the consumption figures I listed in Part 1.
For those wishing to see a radical improvement these figures will be a bit of a disappointment so let me put them in context. This week was not an ordinary week of commuting. I filled up on Saturday night and went for a ride to clear a few things out of my head. This involved some harder than normal riding through the local twisties. In addition to this I took advantage of some excellent weather and rode the longer less traveled route home twice during the week so that was more hard riding.
So it was not a typical commuting week. The GS got ridden harder than normal and still came home with figures normally seen when doing straight commuting. In my opinion this is a good result and my seat of the pants analysis backs up the figures. The bike definitely requires less throttle to achieve the same acceleration. Quite a few times I’ve backed off and found myself twisting the throttle hard into the stop.
The other observation of note is that the inside of the muffler used to be a sooty black colour. It has now lightened to a medium/dark grey. It is almost like someone has cleaned it out. I’ve got a before photo so in a couple of weeks (to make sure) I’ll publish the before and after so you can see what I mean.
If week two brings similar improvements I’ll be a happy man.